Fuck Your God

"Hey, you have your religion in my politics" "Hey, you have your politics in my religion" Two tastes that could be great, just NOT together. Let's discuss how religious zealots are ruining the spirit of the United States and trampling your rights for the sake of their own god.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

"Chuck" currently resides in the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago. While he finds organized religion and their fanatics to be morally bankrupt and power hungry he also believes in the Constitution and our Bill of Rights which allow all of us to believe in any god we choose and the ability to worship in any manner our selves feel to be correct and good and right. So long as we respect others' rights to do so as well. The latter concept being foreign to most religious folk.

Friday, May 27, 2005

Whomever your god, you're not garbage

Today is Friday, May 27, 2005. It's the start of Memorial Day weekend and IML here in Chicago. I wasn't going to really write much, just a little well wishing for the long weekend and a memory of my Mamere, or grandmother, on my mother's side of the family. I miss her. So here's to her.

I was sitting on the bus this evening riding down toward my final destination when a young man asked if he could have a button. Of course, would I turn down that request? Not at all. I handed him one. His buddy wanted one. Great, there you are. Sitting across from me were two others with "Fuck Your God" buttons prominently displayed on our chests. I was in bus heaven. One of them decided to ask the reason, thinking it was an atheist thing.

Open curtain.
Spotlight on.
(music)
Constitution time. We were suddenly engaged in a lively discussion about the frustration with politicians forcing religious dogma down our throats. Dogma many of us don't believe. We discussed the first amendment and freedom of religion. Two others got involved, two incredibly attractive young women. And they were very curious to know more. How wonderful it was to run into young people thoroughly engaged in political conversation. The were interested. They felt affected. They felt part of the process. I hope they read this. And comment. And become part of our currently small family.

One young man gave me cause for concern. He felt helpless to affect change. I have something to say to him.

There was a campaign for something when I was younger. I don't remember what it was for. The slogan was "Never underestimate the power of one". I would urge this young man to grasp this slogan with all his might. Keep in mind that Gandhi was, at first, one man. Jesus was one man. Founders of large religions were one man. Bill Gates was once one man. These people knew they could do something and did. The young man on the bus stated that he had only one vote and that really doesn't matter because of the electoral college. First off, here is someone dragged down by rhetoric in the news spouting what he read or heard and not what he learned on his own. It happens all the time. Anyway, he is right. We have one vote. Limited to only one. But look at the limitless decisions for action we have in front of us. The fate of our country depends on more than one simple vote. It depends on action. This young man is capable of so much. He is worth more than one vote that GW will fix anyway. He is worth action. Start with a button. Get a website. And then make some noise. People will help. They want to. You can effect change. You can do something beyond your vote. Go out and make it happen.

If any of those young folks decide to read, and learn more about our country, if they decide that the separation of church and state is that important, than I say Hooray for our country. Hooray to them. Let's all quit bitching about the state of our union. Let's do something about it.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!

Chuck

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I think you are all pissed off for a reason that doesn't have to affect you unless you let it. If you don't want to believe the garbage that is told you shouldn't be saying, "Fuck your god." You should be passing buttons out that say, "Turn off channel nine news." There are more religious people than not, and the politicians want to get the vote. If you can realize it's about getting the vote and NOT about brainwashing maybe you'll be less angry and more HAPPY!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Kara, I think you should be watching the news. But more than one station or reading more than one source. Most people don't do that. Most don't even pay attention to politics. They say it doesn't effect them. I don't think it's about brainwashing, and I'm not angry. I'm aware. I'm informed. And I'm trying to point out these things that are happening. I'm also not underestimating the power of one. Keep reading. I'm glad you stopped in. And keep commenting. We have a lot to learn from each other. Your input would really make a difference. Thanks for your voice. It really made my day.
Chuck

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home